Publication Date: September 29, 2020
❗️Many publication dates have moved recently and may not be up to date. ❗️
|Availability:||On our shelves now|
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Gray comes a gripping, extraordinary portrait of love, silence, and secrets under a Spanish dictatorship.
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco Franco, Spain is hiding a dark secret. Meanwhile, tourists and foreign businessmen flood into Spain under the welcoming promise of sunshine and wine. Among them is eighteen-year-old Daniel Matheson, the son of an oil tycoon, who arrives in Madrid with his parents hoping to connect with the country of his mother’s birth through the lens of his camera. Photography—and fate—introduce him to Ana, whose family’s interweaving obstacles reveal the lingering grasp of the Spanish Civil War—as well as chilling definitions of fortune and fear. Daniel’s photographs leave him with uncomfortable questions amidst shadows of danger. He is backed into a corner of difficult decisions to protect those he loves. Lives and hearts collide, revealing an incredibly dark side to the sunny Spanish city.
Master storyteller Ruta Sepetys once again shines light into one of history’s darkest corners in this epic, heart-wrenching novel about identity, unforgettable love, repercussions of war, and the hidden violence of silence—inspired by the true postwar struggles of Spain.
Includes vintage media reports, oral history commentary, photos, and more.
Praise for The Fountains of Silence:
* “[Sepetys] tells a moving story made even more powerful by its placement in a lesser-known historical moment. Captivating, deft, and illuminating historical fiction.” —Booklist, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “A stunning novel that exposes modern fascism and elevates human resilience.” —Kirkus, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “This gripping, often haunting historical novel offers a memorable portrait of fascist Spain.” —Publishers Weekly, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “This richly woven historical fiction…will keep young adults as well as adults interested from the first page to the last.” —SLC, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “Riveting…An exemplary work of historical fiction.” —The Horn Book, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “With The Fountains of Silence, Sepetys has once again written gripping historical fiction with great crossover appeal to adult readers, combining impeccable research with sweeping storytelling.” —BookPage, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “[A] far-reaching narrative…As usual Sepetys has done her homework [and] brings a brutal authenticity.”—BCCB, *STARRED REVIEW*
* “In a gut-wrenching YA novel about the terrible destructiveness of secrets untold, master storyteller Ruta Sepetys reveals the dark underbelly of 1950s Spain under dictator Franco.” —Shelf Awareness, *STARRED REVIEW*
“This well-crafted story sheds light on a disturbing chapter of 20th century history.”—SLJ
“Readers who enjoy historical fiction will find that Sepetys has once again brought history to life.” —VOYA
No reviews yet. Be the first to write a review.